Youth Engagement Coordinator
The South Dakota Education Equity Coalition (SDEEC) is a community of stakeholders who are committed to promoting diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning environments for future generations. Founded in 2019, SDEEC is led by Indigenous community members and advocates who are dedicated to amplifying the educational needs of Indigenous students. The coalition has won the unanimous support of all nine tribes in the state. Our three-part strategy for addressing education disparities and promoting Indigenous self-determination includes: 1. Organize and educate students, parents, teachers, and community members in three distinct regions of the state, 2. Train coalition partners and advocates on core skills such as power mapping, understanding and interpreting public opinion polling, using poll-tested messaging, deploying earned media, and building relationships with elected officials, and 3. Promote ideas and practices that will give schools rooted in Indigenous culture a chance to thrive. Simply put, our solution to the problem is to build power in communities across the state.
Position Title – Youth Engagement Coordinator
Reports To – Executive Director
Salary Range – Full Time, $50,000-$55,000 DOE
The Youth Engagement Coordinator will lead, plan and direct the youth engagement strategy to increase leadership & civic engagement opportunities amongst Indigenous youth in South Dakota. The Youth Engagement Coordinator will nurture Indigenous youth leaders by engaging them in leadership and civic engagement activities The leadership and civic engagement activities will prepare the young people to lead strategies that will create opportunities for Indigenous people to thrive in South Dakota.
Duties & Responsibilities:
● Develop, monitor, track progress, and lead a statewide youth engagement strategy and plan for the SDEEC.
● Develop, track, and manage relationships with a broad base of constituents in Rapid City, Sioux Falls, and Oceti Sakowin Nations (including tribal governments, public officials, local government agencies, social service agencies, teachers and school leaders).
● Work collaboratively and inclusively with the SDEEC team and coalition partners.
● Research and modify civic engagement curricula to develop one relevant to Indigenous communities.
● Establish partnerships with local school systems and tribal/state/local governments, and organizations to implement curriculum.
● Host outreach and recruiting events within school systems.
● Develop the SDEEC Youth Council.
● Recruit a minimum of 30 youth participants representing the geographic regions of Rapid City, Sioux Falls and tribal communities.
● Implement and monitor (hybrid- in-person & virtual) a youth leadership & civic engagement program.
● Identify and engage stakeholders and collaborating partners.
● Develop and build capacity for youth leaders to lead and facilitate civic engagement activities within their communities.
● Identify/create a minimum of (3) leadership opportunities for youth offered within the community.
● Support the organization in other community engagement and organizing matters as identified by the Executive Director.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- ● Demonstrated success working with Indigenous communities, with the ability to cultivate existing relationships and establish new relationships and partnerships.
- ● Experience in teaching and/or working with youth.
- ● Demonstrated knowledge and experience with curriculum development.
- ● Experience in community organizing and organizing models preferred.
- ● Commitment to community-based solutions and data-driven program evaluation.
- ● Ability to manage multiple tasks and to develop solutions to problems with limited supervision.
- ● Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, community-centered and innovative approach to organizing and community engagement.
- ● Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- ● An analytical mind capable for “out-of-the-box” thinking to solve problems.
- ● Outstanding organization and leadership abilities.
- ● Experience with digital organizing, basic computer programs, etc.
- ● Excellent communication (oral and written).
- ● Bachelor’s degree in education, human relations, or related field.